Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Quick Hits

Just some quick observations from this week:

  • It's Pledge Week here at Harding! Get your screaming voice and crazy clothes ready! I've actually gone to two All-Club Devos this week to hear Jimmy and Coleman (both of whom did awesome), and I have to say that I was fairly blown away by the craziness. These clubs really take the roll call seriously (you can tell when the pledges sound almost too hoarse to even belt it out, because they've been yelling so much before). I was a little worried that Ju Go Ju and Xeta Rho we're going to throw down tonight when both clubs we're yelling their chants at each other before the devo started. Mmmm....feel the Christian love!
  • It's been bitter cold here in Searcy. It's officially entered "don't go outside for anything" status. It's pretty much the perfect storm of coldness for me: Cold temp, windy, stinging icy rain, and the fact that I haven't busted out my winter clothes yet, so I just put on a hoody over my t-shirt. I asked Tom, a British guy in my Human Situations class, if this felt like England and he said, "Yeah, pretty much exact." Welcome to Liverpool, Arkansas everyone!
  • Less than 24 hours from the 1st pitch of the World Series!
  • Jail Ministry went well tonight. I talked about Joseph's statement to his brothers about what they meant for evil, God used for good. These guys are such a blessing to me. The only problem was at some point last week one of my favorite guys got moved to a different pod because he called another guy a not nice name and the guy almost beat him up. The lesson as always: watch what you say in jail.
  • I'm listening to Ben Folds right now over the shared ITunes network, and it always reminds me of when some of us in our youth group made a trip to Harding when I was in 7th grade and listened to "Brick" like 872 times. That was a fun trip. I remember hating Harding at the time and especially the dorm we stayed in. 6 years later I moved into Harbin dorm as a freshman and loved every second. Good times. She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly.
  • I was talking to Jimmy yesterday about how cool it would be if they introduced preachers the same way they introduced the Chicago Bulls in the 90's. Can't you imagine?
(Crowd cheering and strobe lights going with the Alan Parson's Project song Sirius playing)

And now, at Youth Minister, from Harding University, delivering a sermon on Romans Chapter 8, number 4.......DYLAN PYEATT!!!!!

(Crowd goes wild)

Anyways, that's just some random ramblings for the night. I'll have something more substantial later.




2 comments:

Jason said...

I've actually thought about the Bulls thing before, in not quite those terms. I think it'd be funny if we put the preacher's stats up on the big screen or "JumboTron".

"Jason led the league in baptisms and tied for 2nd in rededications. He signed with Mayfair as a free agent in 2002.

I also think it would be funny to have church promotions, like at the ball park. Like we could have a Gary Bradley bobble-head give away on Sunday.

Glad to hear your prison ministry is going well. I think that's true ministry, man. Soak it up.

Dylan said...

It would also be cool if a ref came out and said, "I want a good clean service. No hitting other denominations below the belt. When the bell rings at noon the service is OVER, no hits after that!"