Monday, October 27, 2008

Kerry Collins is my boy?

This football season has been very weird for me. My Cowboys were supposed to be the best team in the NFL and they've been on a wild ride so far and I have no idea how they are going to finish.

Meanwhile, my Titans lost Vince Young to injury and craziness, but somehow managed to burst off to a 6-0 start. I was thrilled but a little conflicted. For two reasons:

1. White County Cable is stupid and I hadn't gotten to see a Titans game all year! My excitement has been limited to scoring updates and highlights after the game, so it all feels a little separate and apart for me (I miss living in TN and getting to watch every Titans game, even when we're terrible).

2. Vince Young was my boy! When Steve McNair left the Titans in '06 and Vince ignited a 1-4 team to make it within 1 game of the playoffs, I was fully on board the VY train. I was thrilled with every big play he made and loved his leadership and ability to "just win games." When he had a mediocre-at-best season last year, I defended him tooth and nail, blaming everyone from our terrible receivers to Norm Chow (I still blame all of them too). Vince was my favorite NFL player and I was planning on him keeping that status for the next 10-15 years. I know that teams are more important than individual players, but as a fan you tend to gain an attachment to these guys.

So I was extremely happy about the Titans rocking it out, but felt like something was missing. I wasn't quite attached to this team and its players like I had been before. It's like there was a party going on and I wasn't invited.

That all changed tonight. I finally got to watch a Titans game this season and that game happened to be a HUGE win over the COLTS on MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL to put us at 7-0 for the season. I got to see for myself our crushing defense, our awesome running backs, and........and........



I finally joined the Kerry Collins train! I know I've said some harsh thing about Kerry before, but that was mostly because of my excitement for VY. Okay, I've talked a lot of smack about Kerry, but I've left that behind now. You have to respect this journeyman, wily veteran, game manager, or whatever "insert cliche here" you want to call him. He doesn't put up huge stats, but he makes huge plays. He made several 3rd and long passes tonight for 1st downs, gave us an option to throw on first down, and made several big passes to help us comeback and win this game. Plus he's a great teammate, a classy guy, has great toughness, and has a great redemption story after his problems in Carolina. I'm really excited about where he can help take us this season. Hopefully, VY will one day be the quarterback of our future, but right now Kerry Collins is the quarterback of a very exciting present.


I'm so pumped about this team and it was great to finally beat the Colts in a big game. Our defense is one of the best defenses I've ever seen. We've got awesome corners in Cortland Finnegan and Nick Harper, great safeties, fast linebackers, and a dominating D-line. I love Chris Johnson and I get excited he might take off for a 50 yard run every time he touches the ball. Our team is coming together and we may just be able to pound our way to the top. And yes, Kerry Collins is my boy.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Kerry Collins is my uncle.

Unknown said...

blah--i miss football. and nashville. and you.