Monday, December 10, 2007

3:45 in the morning

The title of this post is the current time I am writing this. I just knocked out another 9 page paper that I started writing at 12:30. I'm totally hyped up on coffee and speed writing right now, so it may be a little while before I get to sleep. I'll have to give you a post on Shaine Claiborne coming this weekend, but that will have to wait until I'm a little more coherent.

I wrote this paper on the Nature of Reality for my Honors class. I think it ended up being pretty good. I had to talk about objective/subjective perception, the construction of reality through mechanics of the brain, the macro cosmological universe, quantum mechanics, and string theory, aka Theory of Everything. I know that all sounds pretty boring, but I got to finish the paper off by talking about how the true nature of reality will be revealed in heaven. I talked about how reality on this earth is just a shadow of the "real" reality in heaven. I used this quote from C.S. Lewis's The Last Battle in which he describes heaven metaphorically by comparing the New Narnia and the Old Narnia:

"Perhaps you will get some idea of it if you think like this. You may have been in a room in which there was a window that looked out on a lovely bay of the sea or a green valley that wound away among the mountains. And in the wall of that room opposite to the glass there may have been a looking glass. And the sea in the mirror, or the valley in the mirror, were in one sense just the same as the real ones: yet at the same time they were somehow different — deeper, more wonderful, more like places in a story: in a story you have never heard but very much want to know. The difference between the old Narnia and the new Narnia was like that. The new one was a deeper country: every rock and flower and blade of grass looked like it meant more. I can't describe it any better than that: if you ever get there you will know what I mean. It was the unicorn who summed up what everyone was feeling. He stamped his right fore-hoof on the ground and neighed, and then cried: "I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here.

I love that quote and it excites me for when we will see reality for what it truly is. With that, I'm going to get some sleep so I can get up for my Adolescent Education final tomorrow. I leave you with the words of Paul in 1 Corinthians 13:12

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."